Dollar Store for School Crafts

CoolKat

We use to buy supplies for projects and crafts at the art store. We realized that it was starting to cost a lot. Seemed like there was an project every few weeks. So we now go to a dollar store to get everything we need. What a difference in price and most of the supplies we buy are pretty similar to what is at the art and craft store. Where do you buy your supplies?

craftykris

It depends on what kind of projects we are talking about. My daughter is older and we can't usually find what we need at the Dollar Tree. We end up going to JoAnne's. You are right though, it is expensive!

HouseMouse

If you can get what you need at Dollar Tree or Goodwill, then you are set! If not, try to use one of the 40% off coupons for Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc. You can usually find them in the coupon mailers, or on their website.

Izzie

I use the dollar stores and Big Lots for a lot of our arts and crafts supplies, as well as for my homeschool supplies. I have found a lot of canvas at Big Lots for a 1/4 of the price of the craft stores.

wreckedmess

There are so many things you can get at stores like this it makes me wonder why people are willing to pay more. I can not count the number of times I have ran out to pick up extra craft supplies and I am not even crafty!

Housepedia

My aunts goes straight to the dollar store for her teenager daughter's arts and crafts supplies. It's only when the dollar store doesn't have the items that she turns to Michael's.

I also use the Dollar Store to purchase items for crafts and projects. I don't see the point in paying more for something when the quality is about the same, especially when you go through it so fast. It is a smart idea to go to the Dollar Store or discount stores instead.

GreenGal

You can also find old, ugly, painted canvases at yard sales and flea markets that you can paint over. Sometimes I buy them just for the frames which can be really expensive to buy brand new. Just make sure it's not some million dollar masterpiece before you gesso over the canvas first!