Repainting the cupboards

craftykris

I want to "antique" my cupboards in the kitchen. They are right now an off-white color. I am planning on sanding them down really good and painting them. Do you think this is okay? I don't want to have to strip the old paint off.

MakeDoQueen

It depends on what kind of paint is on there now. Most of the time, you can just sand and paint, but you probably should put a primer on first. When we painted our wooden cabinets, we just sanded and painted without stripping, but they had only been painted once and it was a light color.

OCDQueen

I would not think that you would need to strip them if you are going to "antique" them anyway. I would just sand them down and then paint over the other color.

missymay

I am planning to paint my cabinets. There is a new paint I want to try that I hope will make it an easier process. It is expensive paint called chalk paint (not to be confused with chalkboard paint). It is paint with plaster of Paris mixed in. Supposedly you have to do very little prep work, and it dries to a nice mat finish.

craftykris

I am going to look for that paint missy. It sounds pretty cool. The cupboards now are a light color so I don't think I will have to strip them. I am going to sand them really good. I will use a light paint and then put the antique paint on over top with a rag.

wreckedmess

Do you know what type of paint is on them now? I know when we thought about this the guy mentioned that some paint types are harder to remove than others.

missymay

I am going to look for that paint missy. It sounds pretty cool. The cupboards now are a light color so I don't think I will have to strip them. I am going to sand them really good. I will use a light paint and then put the antique paint on over top with a rag.
The paint can be hard to find, but I found a post online telling how to make it. I think it's something like 3 parts paint to one part plaster of Paris, but don't quote me on that! I am planning on painting the vanity in my seldom-used basement bathroom just to try it out and see if it works as well as I've read. If it turns out terrible, it will still look better than the stain on the 80's bathroom vanity that is currently in there!