Time to think about pumpkins

GreenGal

It's almost that time of year again. I have already seen some of the pumpkin farms bringing them in to sell at the local farmer's market.

To carve, or not to carve? That is the question.

I like to put a couple of uncut pumpkins by the front door and they usually last from early October until after Thanksgiving if the weather isn't too warm. We used to carve at least one pumpkin each year, but got tired of dealing with the mess and how fast they rot out after being cut. Is there any way to prolong how long they last after carving?

How do you add pumpkins into your seasonal decorating?

Hypolita

It's too hot here to have outdoor pumpkins for more than a week or so. I often get mini pumpkins for decorating inside the house but I have to wait until the beginning of October if I want them around on Halloween.

I think there is some sort of preservative spray you can use to keep your pumpkin in better shape after carving.

gmommy

I used to go all out with carved pumpkins, whole pumpkins and bales of hay. These days I use fake pumpkins and a plastic jack-o-lantern. This way I can use them year after year.

craftykris

Boo to fake pumpkins! We carve all of our big pumpkins. It is getting colder out so they last. We are going to go buy pumpkins this weekend. We won't carve them until the middle of October.

GreenGal

My neighbor got me mad last year. He left his pumpkin out all winter and when the spring came, it rotted and stank, and still he left it there. Finally, he cleaned it up. I think someone complained. Maybe the mailman since he had to step past it everyday. Yuck!

I love those little pumpkins. We can usually get them for a dollar each and they last a long time for inside decorating.

I may do a small cornucopia for the table this year with baby pumpkins, a couple ears of fancy maize, and maybe some apples and oranges.

Still not sure if I am going to carve this year.

hoola3

I'm carving. It is something the kids look forward to. We have several different patterns and cut outs to use as guides when we carve them.

We do leave some smaller ones uncarved and place them on the back deck.

GreenGal

Well, I bought my pumpkins this morning. I got three of the little ones and two large pumpkins. We'll carve the two larger ones and put those out for Halloween and the little ones can hang around inside until Thanksgiving.

wreckedmess

Many stores are already selling pumpkins but we are going to wait a bit before we get any. We are still trying to decide on the theme of the front porch and once we know that then we know how many pumpkins we will need.

hoola3

Theme? Wow! You do way more than we do. We decorate but it always the same thing. Pumpkins, scary things, ghosts, witches, etc. - We started today. I cannot believe how much some people are charging for pumpkins this year.

MakeDoQueen

We buy carveable fake pumpkins from the craft store. They look great, especially from the road, but no worries about rotting or kids going by smashing them.

GreenGal

Carveable fake pumpkins? Really? I had no idea there was such a thing. What are they made out of? Are they easy to cut?

When my stepsons were little we did lots of Halloween projects and their favorite was to paint the pumpkins with scary faces and give them hair from straw or yarn. They really got creative. I tried to make it fun for them without giving them carving knives. :eek: Still to this day, I always take one of the small pumpkins and draw on a spooky face with a black Sharpie.

Does anyone use those templates in the pumpkin carving kits?

:)