Wall Borders

Bridges

Does anyone have any experience putting up those wall borders? The one's you put on the middle of the wall when you want to paint a room two different colors? How hard is it to put it all on perfectly straight, and what's the trick to that?

OCDQueen

I have only done it a handful of times but the best way to do it is to measure all the way around and draw a light pencil line on the wall where it should go. It can be a pain in the but though.

Hypolita

We did it exactly as OCDQueen described. It's the only way to make sure it's straight. It's a bit of a nuisance to do but the end effect can look really nice.

MakeDoQueen

I don't envy you at all. I hate doing borders just as much as I hate wallpapering a whole room. It's such a pain! I much prefer to use a real wood chair-rail instead of a border.

GardenMomma

I've not done it at the middle of the wall, the borders we put up where at the top. We still used a chalk line to make sure we kept it straight and we also found out that the ceiling slants in the bathroom when we were doing that!

Hypolita

GardenMomma, whenever we do anything that depends on the walls, floor, or ceiling being straight, we find that they aren't. It's usually not obvious to the naked eye, but we'll run into problems all the same.

Bridges

I've not done it at the middle of the wall, the borders we put up where at the top. We still used a chalk line to make sure we kept it straight and we also found out that the ceiling slants in the bathroom when we were doing that!
I never thought of chalk lines, that's a pretty good idea. I had my mind on a long level, taking it all around the room bit by bit.

GardenMomma

When we started putting it up, I was going with the whole level thing and just marking it bit by bit. Hubby saved me at least an hours worth of work when he broke out the chalk line.