Crazy people and heat

craftykris

I played in an "Over 18" softball tournament yesterday. It started at 8a, and we finished (2nd place) at 6pm. You would not believe the amount of people (mostly early 20s) that were drinking beer all day. It was 95 with a minimal breeze! Our team is mostly old timers (around 35-40 year olds). We were not drinking beer, we were drinking water. Half of these "kids" were puking by noon in the corn field.

OCDQueen

We were outdoors all day yesterday as well and it was definitely a hot one. While I am usually a soda drinker I drank mostly water yesterday so that I wouldn't be puking by noon. I don't know why people think that it isn't important to keep hydrated, especially when playing a sport in the heat.

slobby

I was a big pop drinker when I was younger but if it's hot outside I'd rather have a bottle of water with me. Those kids will learn eventually once they get over the thrill of being able to drink alcohol.

4ofus

Oh no! Yeah, in the heat water is the best! I have noticed people around here getting really grumpy from the heat. It will, be nice when things cool off, which I think will happen soon.

Rorie

Were those actual competitors that were drinking? Or spectators?

I'm surprised that you guys didn't see a few go down with heatstroke. 8 am to 6 pm is a long, long time out in that kind of heat.

craftykris

No heat stroke - there were tents up everywhere so everyone could get out of the sun. They were competitors drinking. It was crazy! We tried to tell the younger teams that they should be drinking water but they did not listen.

wreckedmess

I can believe that crazy people are out doing that but also I am shocked that I now fit into the "old timers" club, do I get a badge too? I know a friend that plays disk frisbee and they party pretty hard too.

Izzie

Drinking beer and being out in the heat don't usually mix very well so it's no wonder they got sick. I would have stuck with plain old water too.

craftykris

Izzie, that is what we did. Ice cold water and at times G2 for electrolytes. I am right there with you wreckedmess - old timers club that is. They will learn as they grow older.