crockpot cooking

Homegal

Do you use a crock pot?

I love to cook in my crock pot. I love the nights that I come home and dinner is pretty much already prepared. I could chicken, roasts, meatballs, spaghetti sauce, soups, even macaroni and cheese in my crock pot.

Do you have any favorite recipes that you cook in your crock pot? Could you live without your crock pot?

katharina

Do you use a crock pot?

I love to cook in my crock pot. I love the nights that I come home and dinner is pretty much already prepared. I could chicken, roasts, meatballs, spaghetti sauce, soups, even macaroni and cheese in my crock pot.

Do you have any favorite recipes that you cook in your crock pot? Could you live without your crock pot?
I use mine sometimes but a lot less often than I should, really. My favorite thing to make in it is beef stew. I'd love to have the recipe for the meatballs if you'd care to share it! :)

When we have an over-abundance of tomatoes, I like using it for a slow cooked spaghetti sauce... yum!

Taggart

We have three different sizes of crock pots, and it took me a little while to get to know how hot each gets. The smallest one doesn't have a temperature selector.

I used one yesterday to make soup. I started blending a can of tomato soup with a couple red roasted peppers, and put that into the pot with some shredded roast beef and pot barley.

That was lunch. :cool:

alygirl

Taggart that sounds really good! I use one of my crockpots at least once a week. With a new baby in the house that's the one way for me to guarantee that dinner will be ready when my husband gets home. I have lots of favorite recipes particularly pot roast and chili. I absolutely could NOT live without my crockpot!

Homegal

I use mine sometimes but a lot less often than I should, really. My favorite thing to make in it is beef stew. I'd love to have the recipe for the meatballs if you'd care to share it! :)

When we have an over-abundance of tomatoes, I like using it for a slow cooked spaghetti sauce... yum!
My meatballs are a big hit at all of the family parties I get invited to. I often wonder if it's me they want there or the meatballs..lol

I mix hamburg with onion/mushroom dry soup mix (like lipton). Usually about 5lbs to one envelope. I also mix in one egg, a little bread crumbs and very little milk to make them moist.

I cook them either in the frying pan (if I have a small amount to cook) or I will make them and bake them in the oven.

While they are cooking I mix beef gravy (or mushroom gravy) in the crock pot and start heating it up. Then I add sour cream. Usually 3 to 4 cans of gravy to one container of sour cream but this really is by taste. It depends how creamy you want it.

After the meatballs are cooked, I put them in the crock pot and let them simmer slowly until it is time to serve. You can either serve them that way or have them over noodles or rice.

Enjoy!

Ellie

Of the appliances and pans in the kitchen, I enjoy using the crockpot most of all. I have many and am always looking for updated styles. To me, this was one of the best inventions ever for the kitchen. There are too many recipes to narrow it down to one or two favorites.

greenqueen

We use the crockpot for from scratch spaghetti sauce with or without meatballs and for beef stew. We use it for other random recipes on occasion but not nearly as much as we probably should. Those two items, though, are always cooked in the crockpot because that's how they come out the best.

Home_Maker

I've never had a crockpot, it seems a bit dangerous to me. I know they say they're perfectly safe in this day and age to leave it on all day but I still don't like the idea of it. My mum makes a nice roast in her's were the meat just falls off the bone. mmmmm

Amanda

Oh Home Maker, you just don't know what you are missing. Forget diamonds, a crock pot is a girl's best friend. :D I can understand your concern. I feel the same way about leaving a dryer running over night or while I am gone. But, a crock pot puts uses very little energy. It should be a lot safer than leaving the oven on while you are gone. My oven has a cook start option that I can set, so it will start and stop cooking whenever I want it to; while I'm here or away. But, I am still not really comfortable using that feature.

In addition to cooking beef stew, soups, beans and even roast in my beloved crock pot; I also cook home made venison chili. My husband doesn't really have time to hunt anymore, but when he does or when I can get some ground deer meat off his mother; I love to fry it up and put it in my chili. I will mix the ground venison with ground beef, which helps it not have too strong a flavor. Of course, I add in plenty of tomatoes, kidney beans (pinto beans that I cooked in the crock pot a day or two before), maybe some corn, even canned pork & beans and a variety of spices. Mmmm, I may have to whip up some soon.

katharina

My meatballs are a big hit at all of the family parties I get invited to. I often wonder if it's me they want there or the meatballs..lol
:) Thank you for the recipe... your meatballs sound like the sort of thing people at my family gatherings would really like.

EllaEnchanted

Sounds really good! I'll have to try this out. I love meatballs and so does my family. We use our crockpot all of the time and couldn't do without it.:D

Homegal

You are welcome for the meatball recipe.

Another big hit at family parties is my BBQ Chicken. I usually use chicken legs because they are easier to pick up and eat. I sprinkle them with salt, pepper and garlic and I throw them on the grill (they probably could be baked or fried if you prefer). Then I dump a bottle (sometimes bottle and 1/2) of BBQ sauce in the crockpot (sometimes I add more honey). I don't cook the chicken all the way. I pull it off right before I believe it to be done--just a bit pink inside. I throw them in the crockpot and mix them around in the BBQ sauce. I keep them on low and let the simmer for a few hours. YUM!

Usually I bring the crockpot to the party and with in the first 45 minutes, all the legs disappear..lol

Ellie

A great option for a 3-quart or smaller crockpot is chili con queso. There are different recipes for this throughout recipe sites on the internet so you'll be able to find one you like. Once it's all blended, keep it on the warm setting. If you're crockpot doesn't have that setting, go between low and off. Just be sure not to cook it on the high setting as it will scorch the cheese sooner or later.