Hanging scarves over lamps

HappyDayz

I have a friend who drapes different scarves over her lamps to change the ambiance of a room. It looks really cool, but I would be concerned about starting a fire. Has anyone else tried this?

Chickie

I have never tried it and it's only from fear of a fire. I would be scared that the light bulb would get too hot and cause the scarf to start on fire. How long has she been doing this and has she had any problems?

MissKitty

I know of some who do this too. I would think that if it is far enough away from the light bulb it shouldn't be a problem. Also, the new 'curly' energy efficient ones they have out now a days don't get hot like the old ones.

MonicaZ

Yes, I have done this before with no problems at all. My father came over one day and was quite concerned with a fire hazard, too. The bulbs never got hot enough to start a fire. They are only hot when touching them with your fingers. Like, MissKitty said, the new curly bulbs are perfectly safe.

Housepedia

I am pretty sure that a lamp draped with scarf is lovely and can add life to the room, but I have never attempted to have one. I am greatly concerned about the whole thing becoming on fire.

OCDQueen

I have done this and yes, the scarves can slip or sag and get hot. I had one melt on the light bulb and it was not a fun experience. I haven't done it since.

Bella

This sounds like a really simple way to add a little pizazz to a room. I could see why the old fashioned bulbs would be a concern, but today's bulbs should be safe. Plus, I wouldn't leave it unattended for a long time.

Brady

I wouldn't want to hang anything like that over an incandescent bulb. Maybe some eco LED light, but not regular bulb. Anyway, I support such innovative ideas because they can really brighten up the place.

slobby

I'd be afraid to try it too. What I have done is put a few drops of perfume on a lightbulb, it smokes for a second but then makes the room smell nice.

Vivian

This is not safe. My mother-in-law used to read in bed late into the night. She once put a pillow over the lamp shade to redirect her light, fell asleep and awoke to a smoking pillow. I'm grateful she work up. This could be a real disaster.

wreckedmess

The only one I do this with is an older lamp that is in my office which I never turn on, its not even plugged in since it needs to be rewired. I picked it up at a yard sale and fell in love with it, old 60's or 70's style book light with a table on it. This way I can keep one of my painting on the table portion too.

corcollil3

I know this is old, but please be very careful and watch your scarves if hanging over a lamp. When I was little my brothers and I did this to dim the light and went to sleep. We woke to my father franticly putting out the fire. It was a plastic kids lamp and the whole lamp melted. Years later a teenager I attemped it again. It started to smoke. Just please be careful!